Search This Blog

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Heading up the household



It all began when I went to India, five years ago. I am a boy, who is taking care of my mom and two sisters. My father agreed to send us to India. I was sad that my father agreed to send us to India. I was sad that my father was not going to come; he had work in the Maldives. It was the second time that I was going to India. I was a little scared, though it was the second time. I had gone to India before when I was small.

It was easy to travel to India, since there was no heavy luggage to carry. We said the last goodbye to my father and we went to Mysore (near Bangalore). We lived happily and there was my father’s friend who helped us.

I had hard time and missed my father. The head of the household was me. So I had to buy things which were needed. We were in a house which was rented. If my mom had to go to a shop, she would take me for sure, since I could talk to go to a shop, she would take me for sure, since I could talk to three wheel drivers in their language and I could carry the shopping bags.

It wasn’t an easy task. Though I didn’t want to do shopping, I had to do it because it’s my responsibility to make my family happy. Taking care of money was the thing I did first. I calculated income and paid the bills. I missed my father because he was doing everything when I was in my country (Maldives).

I lived in Mysore and we moved to Chennai. It was two years that we lived in Mysore. It was a hard time packing everything. But the actually moving was easy. They transport all heavy furniture and carriages.

It was a good time living in Chennai. There was my uncle’s friend who was truthful and honest. The reason we moved to Chennai is a long story it was about the people who cheated us badly. Taking care of the family was easy for me as I was experienced.

I helped my mom while cooking, like using a fry pan. My sister’s learned to cook from my mother, but my mom’s always the best cooker in whole world.

We had good feedback as many people trust us due to our honesty and discipline. The shopkeeper who is near my house trusted me. He would agree if I paid the items later. The three wheel driver could not cheat us because I would speak “Tamil”. My mom could not go shop without me.

I usually tricked them like before I went, I would ask how much. If it’s high amount ignore him and try to take another three wheeler. Most of the time the three wheeler would reduce the amount and at last he would say the exact amount of what I was expected.

Life was hard when I went to my country with heavy luggage. We went to Chennai Airport and I knew the luggage would exceed the weight limit. Each person could carry 20 kg but our things weighted more than 200kg. I carried the luggage to the scale and again I took it back because they didn’t allow it. Anyway we had to go to Maldives as our passport were expired and needed to renew them in order to stay in the country. My uncle’s friend was but I asked the weight then the cost. It was a huge amount to pay for the luggage.

I gave my UPS and other two heavy boxes to my uncle friend. Then we gave the money. It was not at all easy going back; checking the luggage, wait in a long queue and putting back the entire luggage to the scale. Even the workers who are there to check the luggage weight apologized to us. They were not at all happy since the chairman of the airport did not allow and scolded us. We are student who was studying in India but he didn’t care and was strict.

The workers who were there reduced the price. Actually price was more. They said to not to tell but I was glad that they helped us. I thanked them and they said you are young and taking good care of your family.

My mom was very proud of me because I took the responsibility and solved the problem. I was really tired. I was sweating and panting. I took a long breath and glad that it was over. I took a deep breath and relaxed on the airplane.

When I arrived to the Maldives it was midnight. My uncle was there to help. The hard job came again. It was to carry the luggage to first floor using staircase. First I thought it was kind of impossible but with the help of my uncle and my father we did it.

My uncle was sweating and tired like me. My father was old and I didn’t allow him to carry heavy luggage at Airport.

I want to advice to all my friends to have courage and not to give up. Life is not a shortcut. We may face hardships but win or achieve the goal will make you great. Remember “impossible” simply means I’m possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment