Search This Blog

Monday, April 4, 2011

My Hardships In Learning A Language


            Language is medium of communication in which everyone uses. There are many languages exits in the world. There are hardships in learning a language. The hardships can be with vocabulary, grammar and practicing. These are the hardships I faced when learning a language.

            The most troublesome thing is the vocabulary. When I started to learn, I did know a single word in that language and memorizing words seems very difficult. There is so much to learn and getting all those into my head is very hard. For example, in Korean, I found that there are words that almost means the same but used for different situations. Sometimes I remember a word but after few hours I forget it and have to look up for that word in my notes. There some words that I simply cannot keep in my mind because they conflict with new words that I learn.

            The second hardship which I face is grammar. Different languages have grammar very differently. For example, in Korean, the language is a subject, object and verb language, which means in a complete sentence the verb usually come at the end and object before the verb. However in English, the verb usually comes in the middle and object at the end. I find it hard to switch between grammars of these two languages. Also the use of preposition can also be confusing in different languages. One particular thing about preposition that is hard is deciding when to use the correct one. Another problem is tenses and conjugation. Different languages have very different ways that I found confusing.

            Another hardship is practicing the language. It is hard to get a good exposure to the language when I am in a culture, which that language is not usually used. Without getting exposed and practiced, it is hard to learn to use the language and keep things that I have learned in my mind. Also, it is hard to pronounce words properly as I do not get an opportunity to practice my pronunciation of words and do not hear those words often. In a language, there can be words which sound almost the same. Without practicing, it is very difficult to identify words when I hear them and to distinguish between words which sound almost the same.

            In my opinion, learning a language can be faced with many hardships. For me these hardships are vocabulary, grammar and practice of the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment